Arda Turan has been banned for 16 matches after the Turkey international pushed a match official.
The midfielder, on loan from Barcelona at Turkish Super Lig side Istanbul Basaksehir until 2020, was furious at a decision made by the assistant during Friday’s 1-1 draw with Sivasspor.
Basaksehir had taken the lead but goalkeeper Volkan Babacan’s own goal brought Sivasspor level in the second minute of injury time.
With his side, who are locked in a four-way fight for the title, chasing a vital winner, Arda – who came on as a substitute – broke clear down the right but was tackled, the assistant giving no foul.
An irate Arda shoved the official in the chest and was quickly dismissed by the referee, with a 16-match ban the punishment handed out to the 31-year-old as a result.
The suspension means Arda will miss a large chunk of the 2018-19 season as well as the conclusion of this term.
Basaksehir, three points behind leaders Galatasaray in third with two games remaining, are aiming to win the Turkish title for the first time.
Diego Costa has warned Atletico Madrid team-mate Antoine Griezmann there will be “no going back” if he joins Barcelona at the end of the season.
Griezmann has been strongly linked with a move to Camp Nou for much of the campaign after a switch to Manchester United failed to materialise last year.
Such reports have intensified in recent days, but Costa has urged the Frenchman to think long and hard about leaving the Europa League finalists.
The Brazil-born Spain international found himself in a similar scenario when joining Chelsea in 2014, a move that initially worked well but turned sour due to a breakdown in his relationship with coach Antonio Conte.
Costa counts himself lucky Atletico kept the door open for a return, but he does not think that would be an option for Griezmann.
11 – Antoine Griezmann’s goal vs Levante ended a sequence of 18 passes by Atlético de Madrid, the longest sequence for Atlético de Madrid at home in La Liga with Simeone as manager. Elaboration pic.twitter.com/UUtv1M5gqU
— OptaJose (@OptaJose) April 16, 2018
“I left and I was happy, I won things and I had a new experience,” Costa told reporters.
“I decided it with my family and, even though I am here again, I will not tell him what to do.
“He is already able to make a decision. I had the good fortune to go back [to Atletico] and he knows that if he makes the same decision, there is no going back. So, he must think about it.”
Costa pointed out that Griezmann remains a key figure at Atletico and is eager for him to remain, though he does not think the France international is affected by the speculation.
“He’s big enough to know what to do,” Costa said. “That he feels important is fundamental and he knows that we want him here.
“Whether he leaves or not, I’m very happy with him. Now he’s just thinking about winning a title.
“He wants to make history with us. I see him very focused. I see him very well, very focused, very sharp.
“If he has something [that sets him apart], it’s his way of being inside the dressing room. He’s normal and I don’t see him differently from when I arrived, and the others also see him very plugged in and just wanting to win. I’m sure that it [the reports] does not affect him and motivates him a lot more.”
The Russian Football Union has been fined 30,000 Swiss francs (€25,000/$30,000) by FIFA following discriminatory chants during March’s international friendly between Russia and France in St Petersburg, world football’s governing body has confirmed.
During France’s 3-1 win over the 2018 World Cup hosts, Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba and Barcelona forward Ousmane Dembele were seemingly targeted by monkey noises from a section of the home support.
Following an investigation by its Disciplinary Committee, FIFA confirmed it had decided to act due to the “gravity of the incident”, while weighing this against “the limited number of fans involved” in a breach of its disciplinary code.
“FIFA has a zero-tolerance approach to discrimination and has been implementing a series of measures to fight discrimination and promote diversity, including an anti-discrimination monitoring system, which has been active since 2015, to observe and report on all 871 matches of the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifiers and, matches of the FIFA Confederations Cup 2017 and the 2018 FIFA World Cup,” a statement from FIFA read.
“At its tournaments, including the 2018 FIFA World Cup, FIFA has also introduced a three-step procedure in case of discriminatory incidents, which allows referees to actively intervene to make the discriminatory behaviour stop.”
Elsewhere, former general secretary of the Guatemalan Football Association Hector Trujillo has been handed a life ban from all football-related activities by FIFA’s independent Ethics Committee.
The ban comes into effect immediately and Trujillo, who pleaded guilty in a US court to wire fraud and wire fraud conspiracy last June, has also been fined $200,000.
Neymar will be with Paris Saint-Germain for the final of the Coupe de France, although he is not ready to play, says coach Unai Emery.
PSG will complete a domestic treble if they can beat third-tier side Les Herbiers at the Stade de France on Tuesday.
Neymar has returned to the French capital after two months out with a foot injury and has completed gym work as he builds up his fitness levels.
But Emery confirmed the final is too soon for the Brazilian to make his return to action, with Marco Verratti also ruled out of the clash.
“Neymar will continue his work and he will be with the team tomorrow,” Emery told reporters.
“I spoke with Neymar but it has nothing to do with the final of the Coupe de France.
“Neymar and Verratti are out but as for the rest, we’ll see.”
— Paris Saint-Germain (@PSG_English) May 5, 2018
Of his fellow Brazilian, PSG captain Thiago Silva added: “Neymar is fine, his progress is very good, he will be here tomorrow.
“He is suffering from not being able to train with us or play.”
Les Herbiers beating PSG would be one of the biggest shocks in European football history, but Emery says the Ligue 1 champions will take nothing for granted.
“They have earned their final with their supporters, it will be a beautiful day,” Emery said. “There is a title to go.
“Everyone wants to play this final in a full stadium. Tomorrow, we will push and the best respect is to make a good match. We’re going to push 90 minutes but all the finals are tough.”
Nurnberg will return to the Bundesliga after three seasons away as a 2-0 win at Sandhausen on Sunday confirmed promotion for Michael Kollner’s side.
Goals either side of half-time from captain Hanno Behrens and Tim Leibold earned the crucial victory at BWT-Stadion am Hardtwald, moving them to the top of the table.
Nurnberg join Fortuna Dusseldorf in gaining promotion to Germany’s top flight and the pair meet next weekend in a match that will decide who claims the 2.Bundesliga title.
The odds appear slightly in Nurnberg’s favour – they are the home side and a draw will be sufficient for them to clinch the trophy.
— 1. FC Nürnberg (@1_fc_nuernberg) May 6, 2018
— Bundesliga English (@Bundesliga_EN) May 6, 2018
Holstein Kiel also have the chance to secure successive promotions as they will compete in the play-off against the Bundesliga’s 16th-place side, which will be Hamburg, Wolfsburg or Freiburg
Santi Cazorla took part in first-team training at Arsenal on Saturday for the first time since a horrific injury ordeal that began in October 2016.
The 33-yeard-old has undergone numerous surgeries on his right Achilles and lost eight centimetres from his tendon, while he also contracted an infection that saw him at risk of having the foot amputated.
The latest injury setback occurred in January, denting his hopes of returning to action this season, but the Spain international took part in a workout session before Arsenal’s 1-1 draw with Atletico Madrid at the Emirates last week.
Cazorla has now stepped up his recovery, as he chases a potential appearance in Arsenal’s last three matches under Arsene Wenger, and the Gunners confirmed his return with a post on social media.
— Arsenal FC (@Arsenal) May 5, 2018
The former Villarreal and Malaga’s man’s future is still up in the air with his contract due to expire at the end of the season and the Gunners yet to offer fresh terms.
“The objective is to play some part with the team before the season ends, but we have to take things carefully,” Cazorla told AS.
“After being out for so long it will take a while to get back into form, it’s a real struggle, but when you have been out like I have, you also notice pains elsewhere – apart from what I’ve had with my tendon.
“But all of that must mean that I am doing things right, and I hope to be back as soon as possible.”